Wednesday 18 May 2011

Budapest!


State Opera House -Going on Sunday!

Okay, I am here skipping my last few days in Vienna, but will try to go back to them, I just wanted to talk about getting to Hungary while the experience is still fresh on my mind.

First of all, Austrians, please understand that signs are a necessity when there are so many tourists in such a small area. Seriously. Otherwise, don't act all rude and annoyed when we ask you for directions. We looked for Orangeways' bus stop to go to Budapest and ended up running around for an hour and a half because although everyone kept directing us to the same spot, there was NO sign or office to buy tickets in sight. What we found: a sticker on a metal post. Really. It turned out to be it too! I couldn't believe it, but it was confirmed by two sweet little Indian girls travelling with their parents across Europe for the summer. I fell in love with their accent.

Beautiful building in the City Park. Use: unknown
The good thing is that it only cost us 12 Euros, and  the bus ride was uneventful. Karel looked at the Rick Steves' guidebook and I continued reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk. We had the directions to the hostel all written down, and it wasn't too hard to find it. It's so adorable! Reminds me of L'escalier back home. However, I will have to share the upper floor of the dorm with these three Australian guys for tonight. Meh.

We walked around the city for a while, and I really didn't know what to expect before coming here, but I love it! The history is a bit rougher, the monuments beautiful but more marked by time, and the people are so beautiful and a lot friendlier than in Vienna! We went for dinner in a delicious wine bar/restaurant. I'll add some pictures once they're uploaded. We went back to the hostel pretty early in order to catch up on emails, take a shower, and do a bit of planning for the next few days.

Look how much I love my (old) school

Will be back soon! 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment