Thursday 12 May 2011

On Leaving (or Rather, on Arriving)

I meant to write a post on the notion of leaving before I left, but time has failed me (or maybe it's the other way around) and so I will keep these ideas for when I depart for another city.

I am now sitting at the Wombats Naschmarkt in Vienna. I made it.

The flight wasn't great, but maybe that will change once we take a budget-airline flight to Turkey...oh well. Too packed, too many babies crying, too many people staring at my backpacker accoutrement. And the couple sitting next to me -I could not stop shaking my head at just about everything they said. I wanted to reassure the girl who had obviously never taken a plane before, but their energy felt so hostile (even in the way they acted towards each other) that I stayed silent for a full 8 hours. I slept some 3 hours total, but of course, I don't feel tired, not yet. I'm not worrying though, I know jet-lag is waiting for me and will strike soon enough.

I didn't grasp the fact that I was actually in Vienna, and still don't. Maybe after a good meal tonight the notion will sink in. I must say, I was very happy with myself for a) finding my way around the s-bahn and the u4 to the hostel and b) not panicking once. I couldn't remember how to say 'sorry' in German (it's entschuldigung in case you were wondering) so I tried very hard not to hit anyone with my backpack (failed) and not be rude (succeeded).

All of the Viennese people I've seen walking around so far look straight out of a lookbook.nu picture. The faux-jazz music playing the lobby is annoying me. German is going to give me nightmares (I know, I know, just wait for Hungarian and Turkish...) and it's a beautiful day outside. That's all I've got for now.

I'm off for a walk around the Naschmarkt before Karel arrives.

See you later xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Waaa! Full excitant Dalia! Je voudrais tellement être avec toi :)
    Bravo pour ton sens de l'orientation!

    Et, je sais que ce n'est pas la place, mais... Il me faut ton nip de boîte vocale! ^^

    ReplyDelete