Saturday 28 May 2011

East meets West

Hi again! Istanbul, Istanbul...what an incredible city! Things are crazy here, there is always something happening, and I now understand why some people think it is the coolest city in the world.

On Wednesday, after a good night's sleep (even the muezzin at 5 am could not wake me up), we enjoyed breakfast on our hostel's rooftop. The view was amazing, I'm sad I don't have a picture to share, but the Sea of Marmara was quite a sight from up there. We decided to be good tourists and go to the city's most important attractions: Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. I cannot try to describe how awe inspiring these monuments are. Despite the hordes of tourists, it still remains an experience that I hope you all get to enjoy one day. 
Inside the Hagia Sophia

On Tuesday, we went to Topkapi Palace and the Archeological Museum. Again, so interesting, I really wish I knew more about Ottoman history these days! My only complaint is the non-existence of student prices here...I've been way over budget since I got here, and I'm starting to freak out about it. Hopefully, it won't be as bad once we hit the coast.

On one of the Topkapi Palace's numerous terraces
Yesterday, we moved from the Sultanahmet to the New District to an adorable little hostel called Chambers of the Boheme, near Taksim Square. I must say, our street is where it happens! It is 2 seconds away from the main pedestrian street Istickal, and it is full of cafes, teahouses and live music. I love it, this is probably where we'll stay when we come back at the end of our trip. But before we left (and of course got lost looking for the hostel), we went to the Basilica Cistern, which was SO cool. Probably the most underrated site here in Istanbul. It was so impressive and eerie all at once...I couldn't describe it properly.

View of the Old Istanbul from the bridge to the New District

Today, we walked to the other side of town to visit the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market. Quite an experience! It is such a maze, I wonder how we even managed to get out of it. The sights, the smells...Everything is so alive here, constantly moving and shifting, and yet enjoying life in a way that I'm not used to seeing in North America. I must say though, it is very tiring to always be in a city, so Monday's departure to Selcuk/Ephesus is welcomed.

And of course, I have been eating delicious foods...I'm so happy that it is no longer a rarity to see vegetables on my plate! So exciting. It's also much easier being vegan here. However: surprise, surprise, I, the cheese hater par excellence, ended up having some twice yesterday. I also had goat milk ice cream. That's how weird life is.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment